Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Dirty Chaos Warriors


I actually found myself painting again last night. Inspired by experimenting with washes I started on a unit of chaos marauders.



I was looking at what I could achieve with a gold base coat and different coloured washes over the top.


I used black as a first wash on half of them


And brown on the other three


I waited till that was dry and repeated with the same shade to get a darker tone to the armour.


Then over the top of that I used colour washes to see what kind of effect I could get. I used red, purple, green and blue just to see what would happen.


I went back and highlighted some of the edges and then did the detailing and skin but I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I'm not sure if i'll do more figures using this method but it certainly is something to keep in my back pocket. I'l show the unit when i get it finished which should hopefully be nearer the end of the week. Cheers.

8 comments:

  1. Definitely an idea to use again, it looks great !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've turned out really well, I'll be trying this myself I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe those are all done with washes. Really great results :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe those are all done with washes. Really great results :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking stuff! Just shows that sometimes simple techniques are the best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Experimentation is the only way that we painters ever improve. Trying new techniques that we've read about, watched videos on or seen step-by-step's on a blog is all grist for the mill.

    Thanks for this tip Whiskey :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really effective technique. Also, in the top photo, I love the red guy with the teeth!

    ReplyDelete