The Walls of Lardingein

 


Ever since Stuart at Army Royal Blog showed his amazing 'Walls of Therouanne' project, i have coveted a similar piece of terrain to use in games based in the Dutch Revolt. After a Sunday evening scribbling I finally got the "I can do that!" level of overconfidence.

Part of Stuarts French Town Walls


The plan is to build a stretch of walls that could be part of a Dutch town under siege and play games in it's shadows. Sally's from the town or attempts to relieve the siege or deliver supplies would all make excellent games. First thing to do was work out rough sizes and draw the walls to scale on a couple of sheets of A3.


Next, I started building. I wanted a solid base that I can then build detail on, so I used scrap ply and MDF to build the basic wall shape and then started adding towers, bastions and buildings onto the wall (I really liked the house built and angle through the wall so I ripped that off wholesale!)


I added wall tops with crenellations and detailing to the wall to give more shape and definition. I then build another section that would be the base for the gatehouse. The Town gate.


Last thing to do before coating the whole thing in airdrying clay (in order to start adding brick work and texture) was to add details to the gate house and the house. Luckily I have access to a lasercutter so I created the gates and the details like the timber framing and doors on the house. 


I also made the octagonal towers either side of the gate (I had to get the Plane out as I couldn't get the table saw to 45 degrees because of boring reasons.


So here is the Timber work married up to the house carcass, there were a couple of mistakes but I'm happy I can sort out any issues.

Another view of the house section with gable ends sitting in position.

Next up. Texture!

Comments

  1. Looks amazing so far. Stuart’s stuff is very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive. I thought the sketches were great and then I got to the laser cut details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is mindblowing. What a project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment