Prima Flavia Gemina

 


As I'm on a roll, painting wise, I got stuck in to another unit of Comitatenses. This is the last set of Footsore figures I've got from ebay wins and stuff (although I do have cavalry that I should think about doing next). I'm enjoying painting at the moment so I hope that lasts! 




Here are some WIP photos of me working through the stages. All the Comitatenses are essentially the same with some differences in cloaks and clothing patterns just to keep them a little more self contained. The soldiers would have lived and fought together so tying them together with cloak colours etc seems sensible.


In this unit, the front rank are fully armoured with the rear being only partially. That's what figures I had but it also gives the impression of the veterans up front doing the hard work. 

It took me a while to decide what shield pattern to use. Looking though the Notitia Digniatum and the forces of the Magister Millitum of Thracis, I eventually decided to do the Prima Flavia Gemina as they were probably usually brigaded with the Secunda Flavia Gemina which I'd already painted. Be daft not to really. It's not the most exciting shield patten but it makes sense historically.


The shields getting battle damage and a bit of wear.


The Draconis was given a nice colour scheme to complement the shields. This is the only Roman unit with a Draconis so far. No other reason than the banner bearing figure looked like he probably wasn't born in the empire. It fitted the look so I'm happy with it.

Here they are, al lined up and ready to go. They may even get their first game on Saturday.

All the Romans so far. I've got another set of Crusader figures that I can use for another unit. The are more uniformed than the Limitanei so I'm not sure what to class them as. Probably a lower rated Comitatenses unit. And if I buy some more sub- Romans (attacking ones this time) I can mix them with the Black Tree figures I've got left and do a 3rd Limitanei unit. 
Then it's archers and cavalry.



Comments