Warhammer enthusiast decides its time to paint an army or 6

 Throughout the time that I've ran this blog there has been one constant. Citadel figures. I started off with an historical army that used a fair amount of fantasy figures that I used to play Warhammer Ancient Battles. And that's kind of where I've been ever since, floating back and forth between Fantasy and Historical wargaming but always with my heart stuffed full of Jes Goodwin Ogres and Kev Adams Orcs. 

10 years ago it was much easier to stalk eBay and build up a decent collection of classic 3rd edition figures, and that's what I did. I never really did get the chance to play a lot. WAB moved on to the non-game graveyard in the sky and I ended up playing other games. Making internet friends with other bloggers we ended up concentrating more on Rogue Trader figures and sci-fi games and the Fantasy stuff never really got a much of a look in. Stuff, got painted, yes, but never really finished. It was always the vague idea to paint an army and get it in the table with my old mates and have some jolly japes.  Problem with vague plan was that it was vague. I'm playing a lot of games with my local club and the Lardy crew and I'm having a great time, I've got projects lined up and I'm getting them painted cos I have deadlines and oppotunities to play. Lardy days are great excuses to get games put together and get figures painted.


But.......there is something on the Horizon is changing this. Warhammer Oldworld (for it is that something) is piqueing my interest and is giving me the impetous to get my figures painted. Of course this is forcing me to face up to my dirty little habit from a decade or so ago. Once I start digging around in the tubs and boxes that plague my garage, I realised that I've got more than I could possibly need! 

So lets have a quick recap of the armies that I have, what kind of state they are in what the likely hood of them actually getting painted is.





1) Chaos - Now, this army is pretty much done due to bowts of enthusiam over the last year or so. However, I'd imagine that the Armies in Oldworld will be divided along the Warriors/Beasts which means, with a bit of rejigging, that I'll actually end up with two armies! I need to add a bit to the beasts army to make it a decent size but that shouldn't be difficult. So The warriors army is about half a dozen figures away from being finsihed and the beasts is maybe 30 or so away.




2) Orcs and Goblins - The problem I've always had with this army is that I could never get enough goblins. For some reason the little buggers are really expensive and I've never quite got enough to make a unit. I've got a couple of Orc units painted and a 3rd ready to go plus around about a half unit of Black Orcs. The other parts of the army (warmachines, chariots and most of a Boar riders unit)are sitting there looking for attention. I have a plan however, the Kev Adams sculpted Heartbreaker Goblins are still available through Ral Partha so I reackon thats the best way to get my gobbos up to strength,




3) Hobgoblins - Now, these poor chaps aren't going to be covered in the new game and will possibly only ever be a 3rd Edition force for me. They will only ever be a adjunct to the Chaos Dwarves in later versions but I've been given an opportunity to play 3rd ed with a bunch of Lardy boys later in the year. So these lads may get some attention after all. I've got a couple of units painted and another half done plus a unit of Half-orcs. I've got another unit of Hobgobs waiting in the wings. The peice de'resistance, however, is the 3 units of Hobgoblin wolf riders, Pack of Hobhounds and Battery of Hobgoblin Rocket Launchers. Ooh, i'm getting all unnecessary just thinkning about it!4) Dwarfs - Now, until about a month ago, I didn' have a Dwarf army but my best mate Neil had a set of Bugmans Dwarf Rangers and Prince Ulthers Dragon Company. I've a few Dwarfs hanging about looking for a battle to join and I managed to get a load of the original plastic dwarfs from the Warhammer regiments set and from the Psycho-Styrene release. These placcy dwarfs are better than any of the plastic theyve release since in my opinion, so, alongside some command figures and a couple of warmachines, I've amassed a fair sized force that I'm going to paint up for Neil.


5) Empire - I went throw a stage of collecting figures from the Fighter range and I've ended up with a fair amount. Not a lot painted and as the vast majority are without any uniform whatsoever this might be the slowest and longest job to get finished. Don't expect them to appear any time soon.



6) Ogres - It hadn't even occured to me that I'd have an army for this lot but it would appear that I have! I don't have any fancy units like Lead-Belchers or the big mostrous cavalry units (whatever they are called!) but I can put a fair amount of big boys on the field, I've actually got two versions of Golgfags Ogres, (the Goodwin and Perry versions), all the Marauder figs and a unit of Jes' classic Ogres. Add some Giants and an army I will have! I might have to figures out what I can use for Sabretusks or something similar but I'm pretty much there!

The hope is that each of these armies would be flexible enough to play any version of Warhammer that I fancy, from 2nd up to Oldworld, so that any flavour of game can have lovely metal figures for me to play with!

Comments

  1. Bloody excellent. Keep us all updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a blast from the past... fantastic post.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant. I have a huge unpainted Slann army with pygmy allies I want to paint this year (to use WFB 1sr-3rd Editions) plus a Skeleton army from 1982 till about 1996. My brother has a great range of dwarves covering 1980s till mid 90s. I also have about 20 x 1983ish Orcs. Your post is inspiring me to build an Orc 1000 points army.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment