Saturday, 30 May 2020

An Adobe house - Nothing fancy!


 I bought some Adobe houses from a seller on Ebay and decided to put together the first one and paint it up before I tackle tarting up the others.




The houses come as 4 pieces, The front, The side and rear walls, the roof and the outbuilding. The buildings are made of a solid resin. I gave them a good wash in warm water and soap and had to do a bit of reshaping of the 'U' shaped side and rear wall section to get it to fit with the front facade. This is easy to do. You just dunk it in some hot water and let it soften a bit before squishing it to shape. The resin is thick so you have to be careful not to put too much stress on it unless your sure it has become soft enough and obviously you have to be careful with the hot water.


I also had to do a bit of sanding on the edges of each of the resin pieces. Now, you don't want to do this inside without some form of face covering, I did it outside and was careful. Once I had the pieces fitting nicely I glued everything to MDF base with superglue.


I then used some quick drying Polyfilla to cover any gaps and to smooth the transition between the resin base parts of the house and the MDF base. I used a finger dipped in water to help smooth out the filler.
Once the filler was dry I gave the whole lot a coat of Citadel Wraithbone spray.


Next step is to give the whole building a sludgey brown wash. I know other people tend to just weather the white finish but I like to work up from the midtone. At this point I also painted the ground a dark brown (tester pots form DIY stores are the best things in the world!)


Once the brown was dry I dry brushed 3 - 4 layers onto the walls, starting at a dark sand colour and gradually adding white, again these are just tester pots. I painted the wood work in grey and then just dry brushed the same last two tones as the rest of the house.


I glues some sharp sand around the outside of the house and sealed it with a coat of watered down PVA (which dries really quickly in this weather) and then drybrushed foundry base sand over it (same colour iv'e been using for the figures bases).


The last step was to add some greenery. The models have some bushes sculpted into the base so I coated them in PVA and sprinkled them with Flock. I then added in some tufts.


I blackened in the window pains and picked out the door handles and the hinges and that was it pretty much done.
A quick job really. The rest of the buildings are going to have walled back yards and lean-to's and other pieces added on but as an initial test piece I'm pretty happy with this.


Hope you are all still keeping safe.

Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. Not that it would make a difference either way, but why didn't you pva the sand down before priming? Just curious as this would be my order of operations.

    Ebay and etsy are becoming viable places to hunt for terrain! This one turned out beautifully! Decent amount of work ahead of you to complete the rest I suspect, but it will be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job... I had a number of these several years ago great castings. You have done a fantastic job of bringing this to life.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice - and top tip about the tester pots. Shame all ours are left overs from "Feature" walls that the wife insists upon and would only suit some Realms of Chaos style scenery. Definitely worth a trip to pick up some neutral and earth tones though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice results. I think with terrain, quick techniques give the best bang for your buck. You don't want to be painstakingly adding highlights when a few drybrushes will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fancy enough to me. Great terrain and miniatures. Makes me want to start an old west project.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...