Distracted by a cyborg and dreaming of Kislev

I knew it would happen. I was full of good intentions of getting stuck in to fantasy stuff but there was a niggling in the back of my head. 'Paint me'. 'Paint me'. 

He kept whispering as I thought about colours for the clothing of the half orcs. 'You know you want to!' And so I did. 
Does everybody else suffer from this? Mimi's jumping from their place in the painting queue and unfairly taking the place of figures that having waiting patiently for much longer? 
My logic was that if I get him painted then at least I'll be able to get on with the intended projects. At least, as a new follower to Zander Van Zant, my Sensei. They'll be at full strength when they try to take on Vlag again. This led on to me thinking about scenarios for the next couple of games. One idea rapidly meant digging this out of the hobby room, cleaning it up, undercoating it, doing some of the interior detailing and gluing it together.
I forgot how badly some FW stuff actually fits together! Still a bit of detailing and weathering and we'll be there.
I also got my hands on some of the placcy empire archers. And what a handsome set they are too. I'd wanted to get a box because I wanted some of the heads for the Felderberg watch and I also wanted a unit of archers. But as soon as I saw the huntsmen heads
I was struck by how they reminded me of
These guys from the film 1612. These guys are supposed to be polish nobles and I always thought of Kislev as being more Eastern European than Russian so this gave me the idea of ressurecting my Druzhina unit who will be a handy addition to my nascent little empire army. Here's what I've got so far.
Some of these conversions are 7 years old! So I now have the excuse to finish off the unit.
All these are the reasons why I haven't got any further with my half orcs. Sorry. 

Comments

  1. Arhhh Kislev is also on my future projects list, right after Chaos and Norse, Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right on the money thinking Kislev is more Polish than Russian - the Kislev winged Lancers are actually based on the Polish winged lancers. Indeed such units fought at the siege of Vienna. I realised this when I saw Kislev winged lancers used in a historical diorama at a museum in Vienna a number of years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did say eastern european rather than just Polish but the winged lancers are a bit of a give away. Obviously the city of Praag gives a clue as to other european destinations but if you look at Wallachian, Hungarian, Albanian and Croat forces from late Medieval and early Renaissance they all look a lot more like my idea of Kislev armies rather than Russian soldiers of the time.

      Delete
  3. Fantasy schmantasy, I want to see more Sensei cronies. Although in fairness, that cyborg does look like he got his fashion tips from "Empire Halberdier Quarterly" ;)

    That Forge World flier (I cant remember its name? Arvus maybe?) is really quite a nice design. Subers one painted for his Arbites had me keeping half an eye on it and now it shows up here again. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Arvus Lighter, yeah it's a nice little kit, it's just a bit of a mess at the rear, which I need to sort out. As for another Sensei cronie, I've got another figure winging it's way to me that'll be joining at the next opportunity.

      Delete
  4. Col, I've got more than a fair pile of Kislev already. could end up looking pretty epic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you had some of the Mordheim infantry, what else you got?

      Delete
  5. 20-30 horse archers, similar amount of winged lancers + infantry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment