And so it begins.......



I've made a start on my little mob for the 'How to Oldhammer' challenge. Above are the figures I've started with so far. On the left is a Front Rank Wotr Officer, in the middle is an advanced heroquest man at arms, I got 11 of them cheap as chips off ebay a while back and lastly on the right is a Front Rank crossbowman ( http://www.frontrank.com/4_2_lev3_The_War_of_the_Roses.asp ) , I've got five of these. This means I've got another 5 figures to decide upon for my 21. I'm going to do some headswaps on all the figures, firstly to unify them as a group and secondly cos I love doing Headswaps! I'm aiming at portraying a town watch lead by a Watch-Captain.
So here are the first three with new heads. I might change the head on the Captain, it's a bit too hairy but it tickles me for now. All the figures are wearing Jacks so I might end up painting them in two colours to give them a uniformity. I want to do a banner for the men-at-arms and I'm going to have a go at using the classic tomato-paste-tube metal approach.

It my birthday today as well and look at what my gorgeous wife bought me! And look at what I bought myself with my birthday money
I got a unit of 10 including a captain! Goody!


Comments

  1. Nice! 2 questions: a) where are the headswaps from, and b) what's the timetable on this, realistically? Because I'm happy to bump it up my list of painting priorities if you reckon there's a game in it soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heads are from some of the current Empire sprues, I seem to have collected loads from ebay over teh years. I think they are a mix of pistoliers, flagelents and handgunners but i have some from the state troops as well. As far as time scale, the quicker we get them painted the quicker we get to play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I had lots of fun a few months ago decapitating Battlemasters plastic figures and giving them heads from the current GW Empire range. I was going for a town watch theme as well - it gives just the right bored guardsman character. Must get around to actually painting them some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You showed them on Frothers didn't you? That was the inspiration for these and partlt the inspiration for this whole idea. Its all your fault! :)

      Delete
    2. Yup that was them. Hopefully your progress will inspire me to get on with mine!

      Delete
  4. Looking good bud, Archer and Spearman are already looking great even without paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chico, what're your plans?

      Delete
    2. I don't have any plans just yet, I keep jumping from project to project. But I'm thinking some Ral Partha/Dark Eye Dark Elves or Fantastic Miniatures not-Squats (Both of which will need ordering)

      Delete
  5. Nice, those are looking great. I have chosen a leader from my leadpile, I will start assembling a retinue asap. Blog post about it to come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A late many happy returns. The AHQ guys have always been a favorite of mine. My first Empire army had a unit of them, I guess every kid at the time had them.

    I really don't need another project but I always love a side project....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 21 mini's Erny.
      That's just a unit in an already existing army.
      Or a little warband all of it's own.
      Go on.
      You know you want to!

      Delete

Post a Comment